Saturday, October 27, 2007

Jake's Crawfish is Weird

To be quite frank, I didn't really like this place in terms of service, dining experience, food or drink. Perhaps our evening was ruined from the start, because we planned on going to go to Dragonfish for sushi, though they closed thirty minutes after Happy Hour started on a Monday night.

Plan B was to go to Jake's Crawfish. When we arrived, no tables were available so we ordered drinks from the bar. I decided to sample some house wines in the mean time, and wasn't too impressed with the selection. Any of the wines I could have bought a bottle at Safeway for the same price as one 8oz glass at Jake's.

Once a table was free and we could sit down to order, we selected the items that we thought would be specialties of a seafood restaurant, such as fried frog legs, salmon cakes, and fish and chips. Everything was deep-fried, which tasted good, though difficult to digest. I tried a frog leg (they looked good) though I couldn't eat them. Even the next day the thought of the taste from the frog legs made my stomach churn. I suppose it is an acquired taste. The salmon cakes were my favorite, delicious, filling, and satisfying. The fish and chips were good, crisp fries, and two large pieces of nicely deep-fried cod that was tender, though not mushy. This meal was good, though I guess I wasn't in the mood for it that night.

The restaurant is casual with large open windows, a bit depressing for some reason, and the service was less than average in my opinion. The bartenders made me uncomfortable and seemed confused, and the waitress was a middle-aged woman who was obviously too smart to be a waitress, wasn't very good at waitressing, and made it uncomfortable to order food from her.

For whatever it is worth, Jake's Crawfish has good Happy Hour prices, though I had a much better experience at both Henry's and Ringside.

...asn-x

No comments: