Thursday, October 25, 2007

Jake's Famous Frog legs?


This past Monday we went to one of the most established downtown restaurants Jake's Famous Crawfish. If you are a local Then you know about it right away, and it's impossible to miss on SW 12Th, with the snazzy set up and often times in the summer there is the giant inflatable crab that sits a top the roof of the building. We walked into a packed bar, which I must admit was a first for our Mondays nights, but even though it was packed we were still greeted by a very attentive bar staff. We actually had to take seating at the bar first before an actual table opened up for us. This Monday night was also special because not only was it myself and my lovely assassin, no we had a guest with us, who was joining us for the evening. so we really needed to make tonight memorable.

After ordering drinks from the bar, a table finally opened up and we were able to take a table in the far end of the room and go over the menu in more detail. The choices were amazing. The prices were even more amazing. Here's the dirt about Jake's. The majority of the food starts at $1.95 this includes the usual stuff wings, burgers, salmon cakes, and even frog legs. It then goes up by tiers to $2.95 for things like fish and chips and $3.95 for things like a tuna sushi roll. Keep in mind though that there are no drink specials, and you must spend at least $2.50 on your beverage in order to get the happy hour pricing for your food, but with the amazing bar menu, I really do not think that you will have a hard time with this. One thing that we really loved about Jake's was they even had a happy hour dessert menu in which you can get a mini creme brulet for $1.95.

And now for the food.

Frog Legs- I know that these are considered a delicacy for many people. well maybe I am just not that elegant of a person to consider them marvelous and wonderful in all of their glory, or maybe "gasp" Jake's just doesn't make the best frog legs in town. I am willing to wager however that it is the first, that my palate is just not in favor of the frog, I think that i kept picturing consuming little Kermit the whole time, so that made things even more difficult. Everyone always says oh it tastes like chicken. Well I really have to disagree. they tasted nothing like chicken, the texture, was rather smooth, and had a very gamy taste to it, the breading however was very good, just the meat I did not really care for, but for $1.95 I am very glad that I tried fried frog legs. I can now check this item off of my list of exotic foods.

Fish and Chips- I have to admit that I really was not expecting a whole lot at first when we ordered this it was just fish and chips, but when we got this and tried it, it ended up being my favorite dish of the evening. There were two huge pieces of cod, not just a regular cod either, a very fresh cod battered in an excellent flaky batter, that was golden brown. The fish was excellent it literally fell apart in my mouth from being so tender. for $2.95 it was an excellent find.

Salmon Cakes- These were another wonderful dish, the salmon was obviously very fresh, and the flavor was rich. The portion was perfect for sharing. you get two large salmon cakes, and a nice helping of tartar sauce for dipping. The breading is wonderful as well. All this for $1.95 you really cannot go wrong.

Our experience at Jake's was really quite exceptional the atmosphere was great, it was busy the entire night. The clientele varies here, if I had to guess I would say that the majority of the bar crowd would probably be in their late twenties to early thirties, but of course with this type of place anyone is welcome. Overall I would say that the service was great, especially considering how busy it was. If you haven't been to Jake's for happy hour, then you really must check it out.

xoxo
CardxCore

No comments: